Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fix you...

Fix You
“Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you..” –Coldplay

These famous song lyrics describe a song that many people use and adore. I think this song describes what humans naturally tend to do, whether it is with a parent, friendship, or significant other, we always try to fix other people. I feel as if we attempt something that is not our place to attempt. We want to fix other people by showing them our mistakes, our faults, and our failures. However, the reality is that people have to fall alone. People have to face the bottom to understand how great the top feels. As I sit here and write this blog, I ponder for scripture to come to mind.

Acts 3 I think is the best example one could use for this situation. I feel that many people, including myself, feel that helping other people is okay. It is but only to an extent. There is a fine line between helping and fixing and unfortunately many of us cross this line before we realize there is any danger.
Acts three is the story about the lame man whom Peter healed. Or so the people thought. Peter did the physical act of touching the man and allowing him to walk, but it was God who presented the healing through Peter. The people who saw this miracle began to marvel at Peter and John and offered them worship and praise, when in reality they had done nothing at all. Peter addressed the crowd and asked them why they marveled him when he was not the one who provided the healing of a life.

I think this passage is parallel to our human nature in trying to fix people. Many people ‘help’ others in hopes of recognition, pride, or just the feel good feeling that comes with it. This is not good nor is it holy. God does not want us to shun everyone and not offer assistance, but he needs us to understand that we, physically, as only mere humans, cannot fix other people. That is his place. We cannot heal a heart. We cannot mend a soul. Those tasks are reserved for Christ and him only.

So, I know for me I try to fix things right after I mess them up. However, unfortunately, some things cannot be fixed automatically. You have to wait. And wait. And still continue to wait. You have to completely surrender to God’s timing. So to answer the question of fixing people, no. We cannot fix people. When we try to fix people, I personally think that we are going against God’s plan for us and we are sinning. We can guide, pray, and love but not fix. There is only one fixer in this world and that is God himself.

God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment